Rutabaga Pie

Thursday, February 15, 2007

I’ve been doing some work on my issue brief, which will be discussing the use of student blogging as an instructional method. So far I’m pleased with what I’m finding – the majority of articles I’ve found on the subject are pretty positive. I actually do still want to find an article from the point of view of describing the problems inherent to using this idea – I think finding something like this would make it easier for me to make a case for why such problems are minor compared to the scope of what such a project could accomplish, and/or how the problems can be overcome. The paper will be stronger overall if I can present a view from both sides … and then show why my view is, of course, the correct one …

So far I’ve found a few promising PDFs (thank you, Google Scholar) that I plan to look at more in depth this weekend – mostly from education-related journals. As I said, I also want to find a journal article describing some downsides of student blogging. My other main source (which was actually the first thing I thought of when I came up with this topic) is going to be an interview with P.Z. Myers, the writer of a popular science/evolution blog – Dr. Myers is a professor at the University of Minnesota-Morris, and he has his students create a class blog when he teaches courses in Developmental Biology. (Developmental biology is, of course, a bit beyond the scale of what I expect from middle or high school students, but Dr. Myers has enjoyed enough success in his student-blog endeavors that I hope he’ll have some acceptably grade-level-transcending words of wisdom for me.)

Besides that, I’ve worked out a basic outline and started kicking around introductory paragraphs. (I have a great deal of trouble being satisfied with these, so I figured I’d start now, and maybe I’ll have one I like by the time this paper is actually due.) Everything seems to be going fine so far, although if anyone has any suggestions about negative articles I would love to see them!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home